If your child is absent from school, please call Mrs. Polito, our Attendance Secretary, at (914) 603-9912 before
10 a.m. to notify us of the reason for your child’s absence.
Lakeland Copper Beech Middle School will only recognize absences as “excused” if the reason for the absence aligns with the Board of Education approved reasons (see below) and is accompanied by a handwritten note within 48 hours of the student’s return to school.
A written excuse is required by law for any absence. The form must be signed by a parent/guardian. Absence notes are to be brought directly to the main office. Once the note is received, the change in the system will be made within 24 hours. If a note is not received, the absence will remain as unexcused.
Below are links to the forms for Absences, Early Dismissals & Lateness to school.
PLEASE NOTE: Absences called in will be unexcused and will generate an automated phone call home each day there is an absence.
Excused and Unexcused Absences
The Board of Education recognizes the following as excused absences, each of which must be verified by the student’s parent/guardian, in writing, or school personnel, where applicable:
- Personal illness
- Death in the [immediate] family
- Religious observance
- Required attendance in court
- Approved school-sponsored activities, including field trips, interscholastic athletics, musical and other competitions
- Directed or authorized presence at the Administrative Offices, Guidance or Nurse’s Office.
- Emergency dental and medical appointments (only with physician’s/dentist’s note)
- Military obligations
- Approved cooperative/work study program
- College visitations [only for juniors and seniors], with the prior knowledge and approval of parent/guardian and counselors, so long as it does not exceed 4 days in a school year.
In order for a student to be dismissed early, a parent or legal guardian must sign them out in person. The student must present the Early Dismissal form signed by the parent/guardian (link to form below) to the Attendance Secretary in the Main Office before 3rd period of that day, notifying us of this plan.
As a reminder, phone calls and e-mails are not appropriate means of communication in order to allow a student to leave school.
In an effort to reduce interruptions during our instructional periods, we will NOT be calling any students out of class after 3:10 p.m. If your child needs to be dismissed between this time and 3:37 p.m., please provide us with a note so that we can give him/her a pre-arranged pass.
Lateness to School:Students MUST have a hand written excuse (link to form below) for being late to school. Without a note from the parent/guardian any classes missed will be unexcused.
Attendance Secretary @ LCBMS
(914) 603-9912 firstname.lastname@example.org