The NYS Department of Health would like you to know that information regarding influenza and the benefits of influenza immunizations is free and accessible on their website http://www.nyhealth.gov.
The best way to prevent the flu is by getting a flu shot.
What are the symptoms of the flu?
The flu usually starts suddenly and may include these symptoms:
- Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults
* It's important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.
If your child shows any symptoms of illness: temperature over 100° and flu-like symptoms (see above), please keep him/her home. Notify your health care provider if there is no improvement.
Children may not return to school unless:
- They are fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT medication for fever
- They have not vomited for 24 hours
During school, if your child is ill and/or found to have flu like symptoms, parents/guardians will be called to pick up student. Please have updated contact numbers on file. Emergency contacts should be local and available to pick up students promptly. When parents call to report an absence, please identify the illness your child is experiencing including symptoms. Absences should be called in daily by parent/guardian.