From the Desk of Mr. Casey...
Spring is in the air! As we have seen over the past week, the weather can be very unpredictable this time of year. As we look forward to the warmer weather, please ensure that students are dressed appropriately for sudden dips and spikes in the temperature. Your support is always appreciated.
We successfully kicked off our “One School One Book” (OSOB) initiative on February 28th in coordination with Read Across America Week. The book Stella Diaz Has Something to Say by Angela Dominguez was distributed to all students, including a bookmark with the suggested reading schedule. Activities included a special kick-off video “starring” members of the OSOB committee, dancing in the lobby during arrival, trivia contests, guest readers, and even a school-wide PJ party on Friday. Weekly contests and activities will continue until the first week of April including weekly “home challenges” we’d love for you to participate in. Please stay tuned for our One School One Book spotlight on the district website coming soon.
Below are some important notes for this month:
- GW’s open houses will be on 3/22 (grades K-2) and 3/23 (grades 3-5). We are excited to welcome parents back to this event in person!
- Testing- The NYS ELA test will be administered to students in grades 3-5 on 3/29 and 3/30. The NYS Math test will be next month on 4/27 and 4/28.
- Thursday, 3/31 will be a half day for students. Dismissal will be at 11:30 AM. Conferences will be held on an “as-needed” basis. Please reach out to your child’s teacher with any questions.
- The second trimester ends on Friday, 3/18. Report cards will go home on Tuesday, 3/29.
- Please ensure that your child is charging his/her chromebook each night, that way they are ready for the next day.
- As a reminder, please report absences to the main office by 9 am.
- This month we welcome our new Math AIS teacher Mrs. Michelle McDermott, and our new ENL teacher Mrs. Darcy Spitzer-Baez. Please give them both a warm GW hello!
Marc Casey, Acting Principal