ELL Family Literacy Program
versión en español
The Lakeland Central School District Will run an 8-week English Language Family Literacy program to support our second-language families. The program will include beginner English-language instruction for adults, early education skills for children ages 2-5, and homework support and enrichment for school-age children. Dinner will be provided at each session, and there will be a speaker once per month to provide information about local resources and other helpful topics for engagement in the schools and community.
The English Language Family Literacy Program is free for all families in the Lakeland Central School District. It is funded through a Title IIIA Immigrant Education grant to strengthen family engagement through literacy and provide parents/guardians with effective practices to support their children academically at home.
The LCSD Family Literacy Program will:
- Provide introductory-level English language classes for adults, along with tools to help parents communicate and engage with their children's teachers and school communities
- Engage preschool-aged children in early literacy skills and school readiness activities to prepare them socially and academically for kindergarten
- Support school-aged children with homework help and academic enrichment activities
Who is eligible to participate?
- Parents and/or guardians of Lakeland students who want to acquire basic conversational English and literacy skills
- Students of Lakeland ELL families seeking academic support / homework help
- Preschool-aged children (ages 3-5) of Lakeland ELL families needing pre-literacy and socialization skills
When does it start? The program will begin on Tuesday, January 23, 2024 and end on March 21, 2024. Families will meet on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6 to 8 PM.
Where does the program take place? George Washington Elementary School
- 6:00-6:30 PM: Dinner served to families along with an informative presentation or guest speaker
- 6:30-7:45 PM: Break-out groups:
- Adult ENL class for parents/guardians
- Homework help/academic enrichment for students
- Pre-literacy activities for preschool-aged children
- 7:45-8:00 PM: Families reunite and receive activities to encourage shared literacy experiences at home
Registration Information: Click here or scan the QR code below with your mobile device to register your family by January 18, 2024.