|Adoption Date: 02/17/2000
Regulation # 5148R
I. Complaint Officer(s)
The Board of Education shall appoint Title IX Complaint Officer(s) at its annual reorganization meeting, or as needed during the year. Reasonable attempts shall be made to appoint at least one male and one female Complaint Officer.
II. Reporting of Complaints
All complaints of sexual harassment must be reported to one of the Title IX Complaint Officers appointed by the Board of Education.
- A student (or his/her parent/guardian) who believes that s/he has been subjected to sexual harassment should immediately consult with any staff member with whom the student (parent/guardian) feels comfortable (e.g., a teacher, guidance counselor, school nurse, building principal, the Superintendent of Schools or a Title IX Complaint Officer).
- Any staff member who is consulted with in accordance with paragraph “1”, above, shall:
3. Any staff member who becomes aware of a possible incident of sexual harassment shall promptly report it to a Title IX Complaint Officer.
4. Any staff member who fails to report a possible incident or complaint of sexual harassment may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with law and any collectively negotiated agreement.
III. Investigation of a Complaint
- Upon receipt of a complaint, the Title IX Complaint Officer shall:
2. If, after consultation, the Title IX Complaint Officer determines that a more formal investigation is warranted, any investigation must adhere to the following:
C. The investigator must conduct a thorough, prompt and impartial investigation.
3. As soon as possible upon completion of any investigation, the investigator shall issue a written factual report containing:
(The investigator may find that the evidence is inconclusive.)
b. Copies of any handwritten notes taken during the investigation and interviews.
c. Any further written details deemed by the investigator to be informative or useful to a better understanding of his/her findings.
4. The following individuals shall be given a copy of the summary report:
If any of the above individuals is a minor, the summary report shall be sent to their parents/guardian.
5. The Superintendent (or President of the Board of Education, if the Superintendent is the subject of the investigation) shall review the summary report and shall determine whether or not formal disciplinary action is needed. Formal discipline of students or staff shall be in accordance with law, District Policy and any applicable collectively negotiated agreement.
IV. Appeal Procedure
The victim (or his/her parents/guardian if a minor) and/or the accused may appeal the findings and/or recommendations of the investigation, as contained in the summary report.
V. District Training and Distribution of Policy
A. The Superintendent of Schools shall implement specific and continuing actions to notify students, parents/guardians, employees and prospective students and employees that the District does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education programs or activities which it operates, as required by Title IX. Such actions may include, but are not limited to:
- Annual publication in local newspapers and/or School District publications.
- Announcements in school sponsored publications.
- Memoranda or other written communications distributed to students and employees.
B. The Superintendent shall provide for student and staff training in accordance with Policy.
C. The Superintendent shall insure that all students, parents/guardians and staff are informed of the name, office address and office telephone numbers of any and all Title IX Complaint Officers, and that such information is posted conspicuously and updated, as needed.
D. The District Policies on sexual harassment of students/employees shall always be distributed with a copy of the applicable regulations.
SEXUAL HARASSMENT FORMAL COMPLAINT FORM
In accordance with Superintendent Regulations for Policy #4120/5148, Sexual Harassment, a student or employee may submit a complaint regarding allegations of sexual harassment (Title VII Complaint Officer for Employees and Title IX Complaint Officer for Students). Please complete the information requested below and submit to:
Title VII/Title IX Complaint Officer
Lakeland Central School District
1086 East Main Street
Shrub Oak, New York 10588
| Name/Position of Complainant: ___________________________________________________________________________
Date of Complaint: __________________________________________________________________________________________
Name of Alleged Sexual Harasser: __________________________________________________________________________
Date and Place of Incident: __________________________________________________________________________________
Description of Alleged Misconduct:_________________________________________________________________________
Name of Witnesses (if any): __________________________________________________________________________________
Has the incident been reported before? ____ Yes _____ No
If Yes, when? And to whom? _________________________________________________________________________________
Reason for dissatisfaction? __________________________________________________________________________________
Name and Address of Person Completing Form: ___________________________________________________________
Phone Number: ______________________________________________________________________________________________