1240 Visitors to the Schools
1000 - Community Relations
Participation by the Public
1240 Visitors to the Schools
The Lakeland Central School Districtwelcomes parents’/guardians’ and citizens’ interest in the schools through official visits. Open houses, student programs, school-community association meetings and other activities are scheduled during the year to provide this opportunity.
Since schools are a place of work and learning, certain limits must be set for such visits. The Principal or his/her designee is responsible for all persons in the building and on the grounds. Procedures for visits during the school day are established to minimize interruption of the instructional program. The following rules apply to visitors to the schools:
- The Principal or administrative designee is authorized to take any and all action necessary to ensure the safety and security of students and staff.
- Anyone who is not a regular staff member or student of the school will be considered a visitor.
- All visitors to the school must enter through the designated single point of entry, will be required to present photo identification upon request and, after being screened by the security aide and signing in, will be issued a visitor's identification badge, which must be worn at all times while in the school or on school grounds. The visitor must return the identification badge to the Main Office before leaving the building.
- Visitors attending school functions that are open to the public after regular school hours, such as parent-teacher organization meetings or public gatherings, are not required to register.
- Parents who wish to observe a classroom or school activity while school is in session are required to arrange such visits in advance with the classroom teacher(s) and Building Principal, who will decide whether the visit will be approved. Continuity of instruction and safety shall take precedence over any request for such visitation.
- Anyone who wishes to visit a school building for any purpose must have an appointment prior to their arrival. In an emergency situation, the visit will be permitted only with the permission of the Principal or administrative designee.
- Teachers are expected not to take class time to discuss individual matters with visitors.
- All visitors are expected to abide by the rules for public conduct on school property contained in the Code of Conduct.
- The Principal or administrative designee may deny access to any person or group if, in his/her judgment, the stated purpose of the visit is unreasonable, disruptive, unsafe or not in the best interests of students and staff.
- Any unauthorized person on school property will be reported to the Principal or his/her designee. Unauthorized persons will be asked to leave immediately and may be subject to arrest and prosecution for trespass if they refuse to comply. The police will be called if the situation warrants.