Senior Newsletter and Scholarships
Download Scholarship Opportunities
Download Contest Scholarship and Miscellaneous Awards
Checklist for College Applications, etc.
- College admission decision letters will begin to arrive this month. You should review your acceptances, and compare the colleges’ financial aid offers.
- Visit or re-visit the colleges where you have been accepted.
- Call the college financial aid office with any questions you may have.
- Stay focused on grades. Don’t slack off. College admission officers expect to see that you’ve worked hard to keep your grades up. Many colleges check your senior grades. All acceptances are conditional upon successful completion of senior year.
- Let your counselor know when you receive a college admission decision.
- There is still time to apply to colleges. Many schools have late deadlines or rolling admissions policies where there is no set deadline and applications may be submitted during the winter or spring. You should still apply as early as possible. You never know how competitive open seats will be.
Every family should file a FAFSA form regardless of whether they believe they are eligible for aid. You never know what type of aid might be awarded and loans are only available to students who have completed the FAFSA. Go to https://fafsa.ed.gov to apply.
The Guidance Office will automatically send mid-year grades to all the colleges to which a student has applied.
SAT, Subject Test & ACT Scores
You are responsible for contacting the College Board or ACT to request official scores be sent to a college or university. Use the SAT score sender service at www.collegeboard.org and make your request at least five weeks before the date you want your report to arrive. Additional score reports from ACT can be requested at www.actstudent.org. Links to both testing agencies can be found on the district Guidance website at www.lakelandschools.org.
SAT/ACT Test Dates:
SAT Reasoning & Subject Tests:
March 14, 2020: Regular registration deadline: Feb. 14, 2020
Late registration deadline: March 3, 2020
April 4, 2020: Regular registration deadline: February 28, 2020,
Late registration deadline: March 13, 2020
WALTER PANAS HIGH SCHOOL, 300 Croton Avenue, Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567
PH: (914) 739-2823 (press 3, Guidance), FAX: (914) 739-3545
ADMINISTRATION: Joseph Spero, Principal, Donna Bolner, Asst. Principal, Marlene Gracia, Asst. Principal
COUNSELING OFFICE: Nadia Potter, District Guidance Coordinator
SCHOOL COUNSELORS: Chelsea Aversano, Dale Chappelle, Laurainne Mosca, Sonia Recuppio, Brandon Thomas
SUPPORT STAFF: Mary Ellen Brown, Kathy Giordano, Carole Henkin, Kathy Zadra, College and Career Ctr