Daniella Ferreira RN
phone: 914-528-2519 ext. 203
Please call absences in daily. For elementary schools absences, call the main telephone number and follow the prompts.
- Provide your name
- Student’s name, grade and teacher
- Reason for absence – if illness state particular complaint, such as stomach ache, chicken pox, fractured arm, etc.
- Give length of absence if know
NEWS FROM THE NURSE
Let’s start off the year right. Proper nutrition is key to good health and learning. Breakfast is very important to start your child’s day! It’s important your child eats a nutritious breakfast daily. Please send your child with a healthy snack and lunch. Encourage good eating habits at home and school.
As a reminder please alert the health office during the school year to discuss with the school nurse these medical issues:
- A student has or has recently recovered from a serious illness
- A student has been hospitalized
- A student has had surgery
- A student has sustained an injury requiring medical treatment
Documentation from your health care provider will be needed to return to school with or without restrictions for Physical Education and recess. Also if crutches are needed a Healthcare provider note needs to be provided.
Physicals are required for all new entrants and students in grades Kindergarten, 2nd and 4thGrade. Documentation of a physical or date of up coming physical must be in the Health Office by 10/1/15. Students who do not return evidence of a physical examination or the date of an appointment will have a health appraisal scheduled and documented with our medical director. Please send completed physical forms to the Health Office & keep a copy for your records.
Dental Certificates are requested, but not required for students in K, 2 and 4th grade
Medication of any kind cannot legally be dispensed to any child in school without a Physician’s written order and parental consent. An adult must bring the medication to school. It must be in the original prescription container (ask the pharmacist for two (2) containers –one to remain at home and one for school).
Physical, Dental and Medication forms can be down loaded from the District’s website: click on Departments look for Heath Office.
Thank you for returning Orange Health Emergency forms forms to the Health Office. If you have not, please update any changes ASAP. It is important the health office has up to date information.
If your child shows any symptoms of illness: temperature over 100?, flu-like symptoms, vomiting or GI issues, sore throat that interferes with swallowing, ear pain, colored eye drainage, suspicious or draining rash. Please keep him/her home. A child who is sick will not be able to perform well in school. Notify your health care provider if there is no improvement.
Absences should be called in daily before 8:45AM. Please call L-T # 528-2519 press # 1 and leave a clear message including name of child, grade, and reason for absence. Please leave details of illness: It is recommended that students stay home at least 24 hours after they are free of fever (100 F or greater) or signs of a fever, without the use of fever reducing medication. A written note is still required upon return to school.
Please check the district website for updates. - Health Reminders
Winter Health and Safety Tips
Due to the recent extreme cold weather, Lakeland's school health professionals would like to share some winter health and safety tips with our Lakeland families. Children need extra attention to stay warm, safe and healthy when temperatures drop. Please review the tips provided.
Guidelines for Cold Weather Safety
- Winter Safety Tips - Westchester.gov http://health.westchestergov.com/winter-safety-tips
- Winter Safety Tips - NY.gov http://www.dhses.ny.gov/oem/safety-info/publicsafety/winter.cfm
- Cold Weather Tips - NY.gov (NYS Department of Health) http://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/emergency/weather/cold/cold_weather_tips.htm
- Winter Weather Health and Safety Tips - CDC.gov (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/