End of Year Events
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6, 2018 - SENIOR WALK (optional) & SENIOR VIDEO & SENIOR PICNIC
At 9:15 AM - The Senior Walk is an opportunity for our students to return to their respective elementary schools to see their former teachers one last time before graduating from our high school. This walk is OPTIONAL. If students plan to attend, they must submit a permission slip, and should arrive to LHS auditorium by 9:15 AM. They will board buses and be transported to their respective elementary schools.
At 11:00 AM all students will gather in the LHS auditorium to view the Senior Video obtain a yearbook if they purchased one and will receive a “Senior” T-Shirt courtesy of the Senior Class.
At 11:30 AM students will then report to the gymnasium and upper practice fields for the picnic and various activities. Any student not wishing to attend this function is expected to follow school district policies for attendance.
THURSDAY, JUNE 21, 2018 SENIOR PROM
The Senior Prom will be held on Thursday, June 21, from 6:00 -11:00 PM at The Grandview, 176 Rinaldi Blvd., Poughkeepsie, NY 12601. Prom bids may be purchased during lunch periods for $115.
A Prom Contract must be completed and signed by both the parent/guardian and the student, as well as approved by an administrator in order to purchase a bid.
Below is an excerpt from the prom contract:
- Students will not be admitted in The Grandview after 7:00 PM.
- Once at the prom, students (and their guests) may not leave and re-enter the prom.
- Any disorderly, disruptive or insubordinate conduct by the student or his/her guest at the prom location will result in denial of admission to the prom or removal from the prom, parents/guardians will be contacted and the student and guest will be sent home with a parent/guardian. No refunds will be given. Any damage caused by the student must be paid for by the student.
- The possession, consumption or distribution of controlled substances (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LEGAL OR ILLEGAL DRUGS, ALCOHOL, and SYNTHETIC DRUGS) or being under the influence of a controlled substance is strictly prohibited at the prom location. If a student or guest arrives at the prom and there is any indication of the person being involved in the use of a controlled substance, the student and guest will not be admitted to the prom, parents/guardians will be contacted, and the student and guest will be sent home with a parent/guardian. The student will also be prohibited from participation in graduation exercises and may be subject to other disciplinary action in accordance with the Code of Conduct. No refunds will be given.
- While school officials generally require reasonable suspicion to conduct searches of students and their property for illegally possessed items, since the prom is a privilege activity, our concern for the safety and well-being of all attending students warrants a high level of vigilance with regard to security measures taken at the prom. Students, their guests and any possessions (including vehicles) brought to the prom location shall be subject to search by school officials for illegal substances, including alcohol and drugs. If any illegally possessed item is found as a result of the search, the student (and guest) will be removed from the prom, parents/guardians will be contacted and the student (and guest) will be sent home with a parent/guardian. The student will also be prohibited from participation in graduation exercises and may be subject to other disciplinary action in accordance with the Code of Conduct. No refunds will be given.
- Smoking and other tobacco us or electronic cigarette is strictly prohibited at the prom location.
- No after prom bags of any description will be permitted inside the premises of the prom venue. Changing to after prom clothing is not permitted inside the prom venue.
- No guest over the age of 20 will be permitted to attend. Every guest will be required to show a picture ID upon entrance to the prom.
Adults are reminded of the significant civil liabilities associated with serving alcohol to minors, and the recent changes in law making possession of alcohol by a minor illegal. Help us to keep this night sober, enjoyable, and memorable for all students.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20, 2018 -GRADUATION REHEARSAL
Graduation Rehearsal is mandatory, and will be held on Wednesday, June 20, 2018, from 8:15-9:15 AM in the cafeteria; it is imperative that you arrive on time.
Cap and Gown: Distribution of cap and gowns will take place at the rehearsal in the cafeteria. Students must be in good standing and now owe any textbooks, library books, uniforms, etc. in order to receive their gown.
Commencement Tickets: Admission to the ceremony is by ticket only. Each graduate will be given 4 tickets with their cap & gown; if you need additional tickets, please call 914-528-0600. All requested tickets must be picked up by a parent/guardian. They can be mailed home only if picking up is not possible. Students may not pick them up.
SATURDAY, JUNE 23, 2018, 10:00 A.M. - COMMENCEMENT – CLASS OF 2018
Westchester County Center, White Plains, NY
The Graduation Ceremony is a joyous time of celebration and recognition of many years of achievement. It is a time to be shared with family, friends, classmates, teachers, and staff members who have helped bring students to this occasion. The ceremony is marked with dignity and tradition, and requires conduct appropriate to the occasion.
The ceremony will be held at the Westchester County center, White Plains, and will begin at 10:00 AM; plan to arrive no later than 8:45 AM, and enter the building through the main door. Parent/Guardians will go directly into the auditorium, and students should report immediately to the basement area where they will change into caps and gowns. Parents are not permitted downstairs.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, the graduates will process out of the building to the front steps. Please follow them outside and meet your graduate to celebrate this wonderful occasion.
Guests & Graduates: Please make sure that guests and graduates understand our expectations for a dignified ceremony; beach balls, silly string, air horns, etc., are not permitted in the County Center.
Student Dress: In keeping with the dignity of the graduation ceremony, proper attire will be expected for boys and girls; No cut-offs, shorts, sneakers, flip flops or other inappropriate attire will be permitted. Caps are not to be decorated.
BOYS: Slacks, collared shirt and a tie for boys are required;
GIRLS: Dresses or skirts or dress slacks; choose your footwear wisely.
Safeguarding Valuables: Do not leave purses, phones, or other valuables unattended in the Westchester County Center during the ceremony, as security is not provided for personal items.
Photographs: A professional photographer will be present to take individual photographs of each graduate as they receive their diploma. Proofs of these photographs will be emailed or mailed directly to your home during the summer. If you are taking your own pictures, please do not obstruct the view of others or approach the stage area directly.
Westchester Country Center Rules and Regulations:
- Before each ceremony, the building may be swept by the Bomb Squad. No entry will be permitted until this is accomplished.
- Once a person leaves the building, no re-entry will be permitted under any circumstances.
- ONLY flowers will be permitted into the County Center. All gifts (boxes, bears, balloons, etc.) will have to be returned to the car.
- All attendees will need to pass through security check-points and metal detectors, so please arrive early.
Diplomas: All diplomas will be mailed after graduation, during the summer. If there are any items owed to the school (i.e., books, uniforms, etc.), these items must be returned before diplomas are mailed home.