On July 16, the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) voted to delay the official start date of the fall 2020 sports season and cancel fall 2020 regional and state championships.
In a statement, NYSPHSAA also announced that they are preparing to implement a condensed season schedule in January 2021 if high school sports remain prohibited due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The NYSPHSAA decision includes:
- delaying the fall sports start date until Monday, Sept. 21;
- canceling the fall regional and state championship events;
- waiving the seven-day practice rule;
- encouraging geographic scheduling for games and contests; and
- offering off-season conditioning workouts, where permitted/if applicable.