We are Family' - Family Tree Technology Project
Student Work Posted!
(Click on the Family Tree at the right.)
This project is intended to tie in technology with the Social Studies unit: “We Are Family.” It will focus on parts of a family, diversity, and cultural traditions.
Parents will help children complete the Family Names document (attached), using only first names. Students will bring the packet to the computer lab. Using Kidspiration, students will develop a family tree using the packet information. They will add pictures and type family first names to complete their personalized family tree. The finished projects will be published on the district website as a first grade technology project.
Common Core Standards:
- W.1.6: With guidance and support from adults, use a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.
- SL.1.1: Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 1 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
- SL.1.4: Describe people, places, things, and events with relevant details, expressing ideas and feelings clearly.
- SL.1.5: Add drawings or other visuals displays to descriptions when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
- Send home the Family Names document.
- Parents will return the completed packets by the given due date.
- Set up a time in the computer lab for the whole class to complete the technology project.
- Have each student bring their Family Packet to the lab
- Using Kidspiration, explain to the students that “name #1”, should be typed into “box #1”. This could be modeled on the SMART Board prior to the students working independently. Repeat these directions through “box #9”.
- Using their Family Names document, have each student work independently to type their family member names. If they do not know specific names, use general family titles, such grandma, dad, etc.
- Once all names have been typed, the students will choose pictures to represent each family member from the side tool bar. The picture should be dragged over the name.
- Students should save their work.
Technology facilitator will save all of the Kidspiration documents and publish them onto the district website. Teachers can link from this page to their own website.
An example Family Tree is shown below: