My Community K Project
My Community: A Technology Project for Kindergarten
Objective: Students use technology (the program Kidspiration) to complete a graphic organizer to aid in their writing.
- What makes up my community?
- How can I use technology to create a graphic organizer to help me write about my community?
Common Core Standards in Writing:
- W.K.2 Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose informative/explanatory texts in which they name what they are writing about and supply some information about the topic.
- W.K.6 With guidance and support from adults, explore a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.
Procedure and Instructions for Teacher:
- Teacher will model how to use Kidspiration program to the whole class (on the SMART Board) to create a graphic organizer.
- Students will go to individual computers with template open (Template is stored on AllBuilding TShare in folder called Kindergarten Tech Projects, file name is My Community) and drag appropriate pictures to their organizer. (Suggested Kidspiration Library: Everyday > Buildings, Transportation, Signs.)
- When student is finished, they can print their work. Teacher will go around and save each student’s file individually and also Export as a JPEG to a common folder on the Share drive. (Computer facilitators will help with this process.)
- Once all files are saved as JPEG’s, they will be imported into another program to turn the files into a class digital story.
- Refer to ELA Writing Curriculum, Unit 5, Lesson 3. Students should use the writing template(included) to aid in the recording of the digital story.
- With assistance from teacher or computer facilitator, each student will narrate their graphic organizer using PhotoStory or another digital tool.
- All projects will be posted on the district website. See example of a completed project below.