Online Sports Certification Procedures
Online 2018 Spring High and Middle School Sports Participation Form
The online High School Spring Sports Participation form registration opens Monday, February 5, 2018 and closes Monday, February 12, 2018 at 3:00 PM. On February 5, a link to the form will be posted on this web page. The online Middle School Spring Sports Participation form registration opens Wednesday, February 21, 2018 and closes Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3:00 PM. On February 21, a link to the form will be posted on this web page.
ONLINE REGISTRATION: The Lakeland Central School District Authorization for Sports Participation/Athletic Health History form MUST be completed by a parent/guardian ONLY. Any form completed by a student will be DENIED. Once correctly re-submitted by the parent/guardian it will be reviewed after the conclusion of the first day of practice/tryouts and placed on the health teams list for medical clearance which will take an additional 48 hours. If all required information is not provided, additional time will elapse before a student is cleared to play.
IMPORTANT STEPS TO COMPLETE THE FORM
- AFTER YOU CLICK ON THE LINK, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO TYPE YOUR FULL NAME (PARENT NAME) THEN YOUR CHILD’S FULL NAME (STUDENT NAME) AND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.
- ONCE YOU CLICK ON THE “GO TO FORM” BUTTON YOU WILL BE ASK TO TYPE STUDENT’S LAST NAME THEN STUDENT’S FIRST NAME. PLEASE COMPLETE THE ENTIRE FORM, SIGN AND LAST, CLICK ON THE RED “SUBMIT FORM” BUTTON.
- NOTE: ONCE YOU SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE FORM YOU WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL FROM firstname.lastname@example.org. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL FROM email@example.com, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER.
- NOTE: IF THE SCHOOL NURSE NEEDS TO CONTACT YOU, IT WILL BE DONE BY EMAIL.
- NOTE: IF THE SCHOOL NURSE SENDS THE FORM BACK TO YOU VIA EMAIL, WHEN YOU SEND THE FORM BACK TO THE SCHOOL NURSE YOU MUST RESIGN AND RESUBMIT.
- NOTE: IF THE SCHOOL NURSE HAS INDICATED THAT MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION (PHYSICAL, AUTHORIZATION FOR MEDICATION, MEDICAL CLEARANCE TO RETURN TO ACTIVITY) IS REQUIRED, IT MUST BE BROUGHT TO THE SCHOOL OR AS AN ATTACHMENT TO THE FORM BEFORE CLEARANCE IS GIVEN.
REQUIREMENTS - Interested student athletes should see their School Nurse as soon as possible, to determine if they have the required health and medical information on file for Spring 2018 sports participation.
- A PHYSICAL on file. All athletes must have a current physical on file in the health office in order to play a sport and the online sports certification form must be signed and submitted. (A physical dated after March 1, 2017, for high school and middle school students.
- If interested, contact the SCHOOL NURSE immediately to schedule a school health appraisal with the District Chief Medical Officer.
- MEDICAL CLEARANCE will be necessary if there was a Physical Education/Sports excuse in place or the student has an injury/illness before or during the sports season (see Athletic Handbook.)
- MEDICATIONS – if medication orders are not on file in the School Health Office already, they must be received by the School Health Office before the registration deadline for the online sports certification.
- Note – according to NYS law, new orders must be written EACH school year by the physician and permission given by the parent. This must be received and on file before the sports certification can be completed. INDEPENDENT USE AND CARRY PERMISSION orders must be on file in the School Health Office.
- THE MENINGOCOCCAL VACCINE SCHOOL REQUIREMENT MUST BE COMPLETED TO OBTAIN A SPORTS CARD. All students entering grades 7 and 12 in New York State will be required to be vaccinated against meningococcal disease as recommended by the Advisory Committee of Immunization Practices (ACIP). Students in Grade 7 will require 1 dose of MenACWY vaccine (sometimes abbreviated as MCV4; brand names Menactra or Menveo) and students in Grade 12 will require 2 doses of MenACWY with the last dose on or after 16 years of age or 1 dose of MenACWY on or after age 16 years. Please check with your HealthCare Provider for your child’s immunization status.
All documentation must be on file in the Health Office PRIOR to approval to participate in sports.
It is the policy of the Lakeland Board of Education that, in order to try out or participate in sports, student athletes must complete the authorization process:
- The parent/ guardian must complete the online LAKELAND CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT AUTHORIZATION FOR Sports PARTICIPATION FORM:
Student athletes must have a valid STUDENT HEALTH EXAMINATION FORM The form on file in the School Health Office must:
- no more than 30 days before the start of the sport season
- by the deadline for each sports season as posted on the District website.
- be dated within twelve months prior to the start of the season. However, if the student has had a physical in the 12 months before the season starts, it will be accepted until the end of the season.be signed and stamped by a health care provider licensed in New York State
- indicate the student can participate in sports without restrictions. contain a BLOOD PRESSURE.
- If a School Athletic Health Appraisal is needed, please contact your School Nurse to schedule an appointment.
- School Athletic Health Appraisals will not be scheduled in the summer. If a Health Appraisal is needed for Fall sports, contact your School Nurse in MAY to schedule an appointment.
All students must have the approval of the District Chief Medical Officer prior to participation for EACH sports season.
Please note: School Athletic Health Appraisals will not be done by the District Chief Medical Officer in school during the summer. If a Health Appraisal is needed for fall sports contact your school nurse BY May 15 prior to the Fall season to set up an appointment.
- If a student needs MEDICATION during a sports event or practice, District Policy and New York State Law require that:
- Authorization for Administration of Medication form must be completed
- There are two sections to the form both require parent and healthcare provider signatures.
- Authorization for Administration of Medication form must be updated EACH SCHOOL YEAR.The health care provider must sign and stamp the Authorization for Administration of Medication form.
- The parent must also provide written permission for the medication independent carry and use and healthcare provider attestation.
- A student cannot be approved for sports participation if there has been an illness, accident, injury or surgery until a medical clearance report is provided by the treating physician and received by the School Nurse. The District Chief Medical Officer will then review this report and, if appropriate, give the final medical clearance for the student to participate in sports.
- If a student athlete experiences an injury or illness at any time during the sports season (in school or out of school), the athlete and his/her parent must communicate this immediately to the Coach as well as the School Nurse. Failure to report illness/injury may result in student athlete being disqualified for the remainder of the sports season.
- When an athlete is ill or injured during a sports season he/she may not return to sports participation until cleared by the physician who treated the condition. The student must provide the physician’s written medical clearance to the School Nurse for the student to participate in sports.
- According to New York State Guidelines, the final decision to approve the athlete’s return to activity is determined by the District Chief Medical Officer. The School Nurse will confer with the District Chief Medical Officer as needed and will then communicate the final clearance (or decision not to clear) to the physical education teacher, athletic department, and coach.
- In the event the School Nurse is unavailable, the District Director of PE, Health, and Athletics or Athletic Trainer may accept an athlete’s clearance note from his/her healthcare provider. However, this clearance note must be immediately sent to the District Chief Medical Officer who will confirm or deny the clearance.
- The clearance note must be given to the School Nurse on the first available day. It is the student athlete’s responsibility to follow through and bring the medical clearance to the nurse to be re-certified.
- Students who are accidentally injured during sports participation must report the injury to the Coach who will fill out a Student Incident Report and give it to the School Nurse. Medical expenses resulting from an accidental injury must be submitted to your own insurance company. Any expenses not covered by your insurance can be submitted to the school district insurance company. Contact the School Nurse if you need a form to submit for reimbursement from the district insurance company.
Please note: For all HEAD INJURIES see the DISTRICT CONCUSSION MANAGEMENT POLICY (5141.7) The Return to Play Protocol will be followed. Click here to view the policy.
- Click here to download "A Fact Sheet for Parents"
- Click here to access the CDC website for information regarding concussions.
- Click here to access the CDC website for information regarding concussions or traumatic brain injury (TBI).
ATHLETIC PLACEMENT PROCESS was formerly known as Selective Classification
NYSED Guideline: Athletic Placement Process for Interschool Athletic Programs
The intent of the Athletic Placement Process (APP) is to provide a protocol for those districts that choose to allow students in grades 7 and 8 to move up allowing them to participate safely at an appropriate level of competition based on physical and emotional readiness and athletic ability rather than age and grade alone.
The determination of middle school students for participation in the athletic program at the high school level shall be at the discretion of the Districtwide Director of Physical Education, Athletics, and Health and District Chief Medical Officer. For more information, please contact Director of Physical Education, Health, and Athletics at 914-739-2823 ext. 39228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the Athletic Placement Process (APP) is approved for your child, you MUST complete the online High School Sports Certification form. Do not submit the form before getting APP approval.