National Junior Honor Society
1. Candidates must have a cumulative average of at least 92% for all four quarters of 7th grade and for the first three quarters of 8th grade.
2. Candidates must have at least 30 hours of service.
* Category One: You must have a minimum of 3 hours and a maximum of 12 hours from school sponsored sports or clubs.
* Category Two: You must have a minimum 5 hours from Service to School. Students should seek their own service opportunities by asking teachers if they need help or see the list from the September meeting.
* Category Three: You may have additional hours from Community Service. To avoid problems, you MUST have Dr. Verrino or Mrs. Vitale sign your log prior to starting on your volunteer work. Forms will not be accepted without the signature prior to the service. If a community service opportunity is available and you are not able to secure a signature, you may email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for permission and attach a printout of the email to your form in place of a signature.
Candidates MUST attend at least three meetings during the school year. These meetings may be used as the required Category One service hours.
* Introduction meetings are held in September and October. Students MUST attend one of these meetings if they will be seeking NJHS membership.
* Mid-point meetings are held in November and December. Students MUST attend one of these meetings to continue their NJHS candidacy period.
* Application meeting is held in February and March. Students MUST attend this meeting if they will be submitting membership application materials.
3. Candidates must submit a personal statement to the committee.
Candidates must demonstrate appropriate behavior in all school settings. Suspensions and detentions will be considered by the faculty committee as evidence the candidate does not meet criteria for membership in the National Junior Honor Society.
Candidates must be approved by a faculty committee.
Your personal essay and all service points are due in 8th grade guidance on April 13, 2018. No paperwork will be accepted after 3:50 PM on this date. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
Candidates will be notified of their acceptance by mail. These letters will be mailed by May 14, 2018. For additional questions, please see Dr. Verrino or Mrs. Ellingham before school (do not interrupt a class), or e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extra log pages
These pages will be distributed to all candidates at the Sept. 19 and Oct. 11 meetings. The pages are located below under Related Files.
- Candidate Meetings
- Student Requirements
- Requirements Tearoff
- Category 1 Log
- Category 2 Log
- Category 2 Teacher List
- Category 3 Log
- Category 3 Service Log Example 1
- Category 3 Service Log Example 2
- Category 3 Service Log Example 3
- Category 3 Service Log Example 4
- Category 3 Blank Log
- Category 3 list of organizations
- Personal Statement Sample